Pool degraded, new HD removed

A few weeks ago I purchased 2 harddisks for my FreeNAS server. Now one of my disks is removed and the pool is degraded. It seems to be one of my new ones. What should I do? Did I make an error when I added the disk? Did it already fail? Schermafbeelding 2021-03-02 om 13.58.45

A number of your drives seem to be having trouble. The one that’s removed seems to be ada2, but ada3, ada4, and ada5 also had checksum errors on the last scrub. This suggests a broader hardware problem–perhaps power or cabling. What motherboard and disk controller are you using? And how is power connected to your disks?

But again, ada2 looks like the immediate problem. Is it running at all? Try posting the output of smartctl -a /dev/ada2.

In that case, it might be the power. When I tried adding those 2 new 4TB disks, I learned that my power supply only had 5 SATA power connections. So I bought a splitter and connected the 2 new disks with it. Maybe my power supply only has 5 connections because it can only supply power to 5 disks.

What would you advise me to do? Should I replace the 2 oldest disks with the 2 newest ones? Should I buy a new power supply?

The smartctl command returns:
/dev/ada2: Unable to detect device type
Please specify device type with the -d option.

That does look like ada2 is unresponsive. What’s the output of camcontrol devlist?

root@freenas:~ # camcontrol devlist
<WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 82.00A82>    at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,ada0)
<WDC WD40EFAX-68JH4N1 83.00A83>    at scbus0 target 1 lun 0 (pass1,ada1)
<ST3000VN000-1HJ166 SC60>          at scbus1 target 1 lun 0 (pass3,ada3)
<ST3000VN000-1HJ166 SC60>          at scbus2 target 0 lun 0 (pass4,ada4)
<WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 82.00A82>    at scbus3 target 0 lun 0 (pass5,ada5)
<Wilk GOODRAM 16GB 1.00>           at scbus5 target 0 lun 0 (pass6,da0)

So ada2 is just missing…

Indeed. Is it plugged into the power splitter you mentioned? If so, might want to try moving that around or using a different one–it’d be unusual for the PSU to not have enough capacity for six disks, but poor-quality power splitters are very common indeed.

Can you tell if ada2 is spinning at all?

1 Like

I reconnected the cables and now all the disks seem to work. Camcontrol devlist lists them all and the pool status lists all disks as “online”. Status is now “scanning” and the time remaining is an increasing number of seconds, contrary to what I would expect.
What should I do? Wait until it’s finished (if ever)?

I’d at least wait for a while, to see if it starts making regular progress.

It finished with no errors. However, the pool state is online. That is not how it should be, is it? How do I solve that?

If resilvering finished with no errors, I’d think ONLINE is the state the pool should be in.